Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Garfield Would Be Delighted

My favorite TV chef is Ina Garten, aka The Barefoot Contessa. She is this funny little lady who lives in a big mansion in the Hamptons and has a snobby laugh, and terrible pants that are intentionally 5 inches too short, like she is trying to irritate me through the TV. And yet, I love her. She seems so genuine about her passion for delicious food and cooking for people she loves. Plus, she has a charming wee husband named Jeffrey, who according to the dedication of her Family Style cookbook, "makes all her dreams come true." Awww.

She whips up delicious menus of always-recognizable meals, but she does them so well, and usually with real butter and heavy cream. I tried her Turkey Sausage Lasagna tonight, and it was just scrumptious. I couldn't find turkey sausage, so I used sweet Italian pork sausage from Siesel's--mmmmm. Also, it calls for a layer of fresh mozzarella, followed by a layer of a mixture of ricotta, parmesan, and goat cheese. Cheesy wonderfulness!

Tomorrow night, I'm making two pies: lemon meringue & chocolate caramel cream. What now? It sounded like a good idea when I volunteered to bring dessert to an office potluck. Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

kelly said...

You have become quite the contessa yourself. Please send me the lasagna recipe and a slice of pie -- stat.